Friday, January 23, 2009

Hays Mall

Week 1 & 2
Hays Mall
Something or someone being expressive


1) Immediate Response

The thing that I notice first in this picture are the two young girls. Since they are in the center of the frame and are the main subject this has become my initial focus. One thing that I think stands out in this picture is the curved line of the photo booth. It seems to separate the photo, although it is still a big part of it. My first impression of this picture is that these girls are "Best Friends" and are just being goofy and carefree. The affect that this photo has on me is that it brings a smile to my face and a reminder of the good 'ol days!

2) Objective Description

I would begin describing this photo by telling someone that in the center of the frame are two young girls. They are sitting in a Fun Foto booth and you can just tell that they are great friends. They are making silly faces for their newest memory together. You can see in the background, one of the many women's clothing stores in the Mall. What I seem to notice most about this background are the two manequins and the picture in the storefront window at the top left and at the top right is a bright orange shirt that really pops out. The floor throughout the photo is almost bamboo colored and has many lines and squares running through it, which remind me of a woven mat. The other main focus of this picture is the curved line of the photo booth which splits the photo from top to bottom. It has a bright blue stonewashed jean pattern in the background and on top of this "jean pattern" is a film strip with example pictures of two girls that says "Best Friends" on it.

3) Formal Matters

The composition of this photo is interesting because the viewpoint is from a vantage point not only capturing the young girls faces, but it also divides the picture almost into thirds. I see the girls sitting in the booth is one third, the right end of the photo booth as another third, and the background space behind the seated girls as the other. There are many different lines, some are curved and some are straight, they go in all directions, diagonal, vertical and horizontal. Some are very light and faint, while others (such as the photo booth) are very bold and defining. I think that the placement in space is good because the photo has balance and the yellow colored background really makes the blue of the photo booth stand out.

4) The Story It Tells

I think that the story that this photo tells can be described much like the objective description. It tells a story of two girls who are best friends and are just having a good time shopping at the mall and being goofy together. They are taking pictures in the photo booth in order to create memories for the both of them forever. If I had to name this photo with one simple word I would have to say I would call it "Friends."

5) The Work In The World

I think that one way that this photo connects to Kathe Kollowitz's drawing is that mine would be considered the complete opposite of what her drawings were. My photo tends to leave you with a happy, silly feeling. While on the other hand, Kathe Kollowitz's depictions of motherhood, poverty and death are on a completely different side of the spectrum.

No comments:

Post a Comment