Friday, February 13, 2009

Week 5 Blog


Week 5 Blog

Expression & Value


1) Immediate Response


The thing that I notice first about this photo is the crazy look upon this man's face. Something that stands out to me are his eyes. This affects me by making me wonder what he seems to be angry about.




2) Objective Description


What I see in front of me is a black and white photo of a man centered in the frame and is somewhat perched on some steps. He has a crazy look upon his face as he is screaming. His eyes are almost popping out of his head and may be very angry about something. In the background of this photo are paneled walls of a garage and a small well-used stepladder in the bottom left corner.


3) Formal Matters


I feel that the composition of this photo contains a lot of value and texture. The line quality of the paneled walls in the background really make the man in the center of the frame pop out in his expressive way the lines within his jacket seams really pop out in the center of the frame. The chiaroscuro involved in this photo helps to show many textures within the walls and the jacket that he is wearing. If you look closely, the faint cast shadow has very interesting color and texture as well. I think that this man is placed very well within the space because his outstretched arms take up almost the entire frame. This helps to convey the emotion involved in this photo as well.

4) The Story It Tells

I think that this photo does tell a story. It is a story about a man expressing what looks like anger, although it could all just be a farce as well. To name this photo with one word I would name it, "Scream!"




5) The Work in the World

I see several connections to Edgar Degas’ drawings in this photo. The first is that it is a single figure being used within the photo. Next, the black and white values contained within it are very similar to Degas' drawings and finally, expression is conveyed to the viewers by the solitary man.

No comments:

Post a Comment